'Trading Secrets' by Melody Carlson

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Trading SecretsTrading Secrets by Melody Carlson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
★: Didn't Like it
★★: It was Ok
★★★: Liked it
★★★★: Really liked it
★★★★★: It was amazing

Suggested Age:13+ Genre:Young Adult, Amish fiction


This book was hysterical. I wasn’t sure if I would like it because I often find YA books to be lacking in depth and story. Of course, there are always exceptions and this happened to be one of them. 

My daughter read this first and she kept telling me all of the really funny parts in the books. I mean, how many Amish books do you read that talk about the, “hot Amish guy.”  I really got a chuckle out of that.

This book does involve an Amish family but it isn’t really what I would consider to be Amish fiction. It’s more on the Englisher’s side of an Amish encounter.   

Note: I deemed this appropriate for ages 13+ as always, parental discretion is encouraged.   There’s a couple “hotties” thrown around and mention of underwear but nothing that I deem to be super risqué or inappropriate for teens.







Micah has been writing to her Amish penpal for years. The problem is, Zach thinks she’s a boy and she’s never bothered to correct him!

When Micah has a chance to spend some time on Zach’s farm, it really never occurs to her to just tell him the truth. She’s too afraid of losing their friendship. So, she masquerades as a boy—until she realizes that they’re going to make her room with him! 

There were a lot of hysterical situations involving this little deception and I really enjoyed this quick and quirky read. 

I do think there should be a little follow up book. I would like to see how things end up for adult Micah and Zach.     Overall, I gave this book a solid four stars. Pretty quick and clean read for a young lady.
View all my reviews
|Excerpt
Amazon|CBD|Barnes&Noble






Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspirational market for her books, including the Notes from a Spinning Planet series and Finding Alice, which is in production as a Lifetime Television movie. She and her husband serve on the Young Life adult committee in central Oregon.
 



I received Trading Secrets as a complimentary gift in exchange for  an honest review from Revell. I was not required to write a  positive review. My comments and opinions are my own.



Post a Comment