Review: The Confession

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Confession
The Confession by Beverly Lewis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



‘The Confession’ is book two in the The Heritage of Lancaster County trilogy by Beverly Lewis. In The Shunning we met Katie Lapp, 22 year old Amish girl who feels as if she doesn't fit in. Upon learning that she was adopted she is less content to continue living her plain life. She ends up leaving the Amish Bishop at the altar, an act that ultimately leads to her shunning.

In ‘The Confession’ we see Katie, who now calls herself Katherine as she tries to find her birth mother and embraces the English way of life. I'm going to admit, I was fairly frustrated with "Katherine" in this book. She was all too willing to completely forget a mother and father who loved and raised her in her desperate attempt to find the woman who gave her up at birth. It's nice that her mother turned out to be a decent lady but I was very frustrated, nonetheless that Rebecca Lapp, the adoptive mother, has been cast aside with certain ingratitude.

Overall I did enjoy the book. I am enjoying seeing a side to Amish culture that many other fiction writers of the genre will steer clear of. By learning more about their belief system and culture, I feel as if I have a better insight into their personal lives and their faith. She's very accurate in her descriptions which I find fascinating. For example, I found it interesting to learn that the Amish Ladies of Lancaster County do not use buttons. Why I find this fascinating is beyond me, but for the reader who enjoys learning authentic facts about the Amish and Mennonite, Beverly Lewis does an exceptionally accurate account of their culture, lifestyles and beliefs. I'm giving this book 4 of 5 stars simply because of the frustration I felt with "Katherine" and her obvious disregard for her adoptive mother. I sincerely hope that this issue resolves itself satisfactorily in the third book, ‘The Reckoning’.



View all my reviews

Post a Comment