Review: The Reckoning

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Reckoning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #3)The Reckoning by Beverly Lewis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


‘The Reckoning’ concludes The Heritage of Lancaster County Trilogy, following ‘The Shunning’ and ‘The Confession’. I was very pleased with how this series was wrapped up after my slight disappointment in Katherine in book two. I wasn't disappointed in the writing but in the character herself as I tend to develop a relationship with the books I lose myself in.


‘The Reckoning’ starts out with a look into Katherine's life as the Mistress of the Mayfield Manor and her continual struggle to fit in, even in the society she thought she so wanted. There's just something missing in life for Miss Katherine and she has yet to put her finger on what that is. Partly due to Daniel, her old love that she had thought was dead, has shown back up in her life, claiming he is still in love with her and always has been. However, Katherine has herself a new beau, the aristocratic artist named Justin Wirth. Katherine's romance with Justin was frustrating for me to read. I didn't trust him or his intentions and I felt that he didn't have Katherine's best interests in his heart.

Meanwhile, life in Hickory Hollow, Katherine's old Amish community,has continued to go on. Mary's romance with the Bishop has blossomed and she has settled in as his wife and a mama to his children. Rebecca seems to slowly be recovering from the immense loss she endured with losing Katie to the English world. Annie is coming to terms with her brother Daniel's betrayal and sadness over his shunning. Ella Mae, perhaps my favorite character in this book, has suffered a stroke and is nearing the end of her life. It is Ella who holds the key to Katherine's salvation and in finding her true purpose in life. Not as the fancy and worldly "Katherine" but as the sweet and humble "Katie Girl".

I was thrilled with the conclusion to this story. I just never saw Katie returning completely to her Amish roots, I was actually happy that she didn't. But I also am glad that she didn't choose to stay and live out her life as an extravagant rich lady. I would have never been able to accept her as anything else but "Plain". It was truly the best compromise for her. A fantastic series and I look forward to reading more by Beverly Lewis.


View all my reviews

Post a Comment